Douglas Pulitzer has practiced law for over 20 years and has expertise concentrated in technology, ecommerce, mcommerce, Web 2.0, privacy, information management and intellectual property law. He represents a broad range of clients, from start-up entrepreneurs to multinational corporations.
Mr. Pulitzer has enjoyed a wide variety of legal experiences over his career that have provided him with a unique perspective and legal skill set, including work at a large Wall Street law firm, in-house experience at both a Global financial services firm and a revolutionary beverage company, and the entrepreneurial endeavor of running his own law firm.
Mr. Pulitzer has extensive experience in counseling, structuring, drafting, negotiating and implementing a wide range of transactions in matters related to his areas of expertise which include: advising companies on issues of moving to a Web 2.0-based environment and implementing an ecommerce and mcommerce infrastructure, monetization of information assets including through new “big data” analytics tools and third-party vendor agreements, “Internet of things” and its privacy implications, privacy and data security assessments, compliance and policies (internal and public facing), including cross-border data transfers and the strategic collection and management of personal information assets, preparation and implementation of BYOD, WISPS and electronic communication policies; CAN-SPAM, COPPA, HIPPA, HITECH, PCI DSS and GLB counseling; creation and structuring of strategic alliances, joint ventures and other partnership arrangements; complex licensing and cross-licensing agreements; design, development and distribution agreements; service level agreements; agreements for technology-related services; data center lease agreements; co-location agreements; procurement (government and commercial for both tangible and intangible items); outsourcing transactions, including help desk, planogram, category management, cloud computing, and software as a service; open source issues, marketing and co-branding agreements; publishing and collaboration agreements; and strategic intellectual property and information asset purchases, divestiture, use, transfer, management and protection.
- Provided privacy and information management counsel to the World’s largest manufacturer of finished watches regarding the global launch of its first generation smart watch.
- Represented one of the World’s largest weather companies on projects related to data generated by smart sensor devices to compile predictive weather analytics for Big Data projects; structured and negotiated domestic and international technology transactions and performed information management, privacy and intellectual property due diligence with regard to their acquisition by TWCC Holding Corp (The Weather Channel), which in turn recently sold these assets to IBM as part of IBM’s Watson IoT initiatives.
- Represented one of the World’s largest investment banks over a twelve year period on numerous domestic and international technology, information, intellectual property, content, outsourcing and e-business projects, divestitures and acquisitions of information and intellectual property rich assets, representing the firm as a provider, consumer, seller and purchaser.
- Represented the US subsidiary of one of the largest insurance company in Japan in response to a data breach affecting US and Japanese residents, including settlement with its third party provider.
- Represented the World’s largest accounting firm and its affiliates in a multi-year multi-million dollar data center lease and heavily negotiated SLA that houses all of the primary servers and applications to run their national and international business operations. Also counseled on Worldwide intra-company trans-border data flow issues that needed to be addressed from personal and sensitive data entering, residing and leaving the data center.
- Lead outside counsel on all US privacy and information management issues and projects for the World’s largest manufacturer of finished watches and its US subsidiaries, including: enterprise level electronic communications and BYOD policies, internal and public facing privacy policies, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, privacy audits and compliance, trans-border data flow issues (customer and employee) and related trans-continental server hosting and outsourcing arrangements and all ecommerce and mcommerce matters.
- Advised one of the most prestigious news and information publishing companies on CAN-SPAM compliance for a marketing campaign.
- Represented the US subsidiary of one of Hong Kong’s largest banks regarding the development, licensing, servicing and GLB compliance of its operation’s primary bank software platform.
- Represent the US subsidiary of a leading multi-national consumer products company regarding the structuring and implementation of the US component of a trans-border enterprise level privacy directive that will govern the collection, transmitting, hosting, use, sharing, securing and disposing of customer and employee data.
- Represent one of the most recognized comic book publishers on ecommerce, Web 2.0 and privacy matters, including COPPA compliance.
- Represent the US subsidiary of a UK based health care technology provider and analytics company on US ecommerce, mcommerce and privacy related projects, including HIPPA compliance, preparation and negotiation of end use licenses, business associate agreements and joint ventures with world renowned US medical centers with regard to the collection, sharing, use and compliant exploitation of protected health information.
- Advised a Canadian based technology company on US privacy related issues related to the tracking, collection, use and exploitation of retail store customers through the use of instore smart tracking technology.
- Advised a US based data mining analytics company on trans-border data flow issues between the EU and US and US legal privacy issues regarding collection, use, securing and disposal of its and its customers’ information assets.
- Represent the US subsidiaries of a worldwide leader in the manufacture of total systems for the installation of floor to ceiling coverings in commercial and residential construction on all US privacy and information management issues, ecommerce and Web 2.0 projects, and M&A due diligence regarding each of their information asset acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represent one of the World’s leading providers of sampling solutions for beauty and wellness brands in matters related to ecommerce, privacy, information management, including trans border data flows and a recent a multimillion dollar international technology acquisition and complex cross license.
- Advised a global full-service digital agency on cyber security issues.
- Represented a leading edge body scanning company on matters related to information and intellectual property strategic alliances, technology acquisition, divestiture and licensing as well as global privacy and information management counsel related to the transfer, transmitting, use and sharing of sensitive information.
- Represented a US based internationally renowned organization specializing in international cultural exchange opportunities for residents from/to over 60 countries on trans-border data flow issues and privacy compliance and provided counsel to transition them to a web-based business model.
- Provided technology contracting, privacy, information management and intellectual property counsel to the predecessor entity of Energy Brands, Inc. (Vitamin Water) which was acquired by The Coca-Cola Company for $4.2 billion dollars.
- Represented a world renowned financial software developer company in numerous deals related to the structuring of deliverables to meet GLB compliance and negotiations with several of the World’s largest financial institutions.
- Represented a leading artificial intelligence game developer and provider of social gaming applications for mobile devices and in its acquisition by ngmoco, Inc. now a wholly owned subsidiary of DeNA.
Mr. Pulitzer is an active member in the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Pulitzer has written extensively about the intellectual property and other legal aspects of cloud computing, privacy and information management.
- New York
Mr. Pulitzer is a graduate of New York University (B.A.) and Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D.)