James Hastings has more than twenty years experience representing corporate and entrepreneurial brand owners in all facets of trademark law and brand protection and enforcement. Previously, Mr. Hastings served as in-house counsel to a well-known national catalog retailer. He is author of the online publication, Trademark Opposition Lawyer — a guide for CEOs and in-house counsel about contested proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Hastings is an approved mediator of the International Trademark Association Panel of Mediators, an alternative dispute resolution forum with approximately 150 mediators worldwide. James’s insight on trademark law has been solicited by and featured in Corporate Counsel, Bloomberg BNA, Law.com, and other national legal publications.
Mr. Hastings has worked with a wide variety of consumer and technology brand clients over the years in the protection and enforcement of their trademark and intellectual property portfolios.
Representative matters include:
- Management of U.S. holding company’s consumer product portfolio, including protection and licensing of its well-known brands
- Counseled a national catalog retailer on trademark and direct marketing law compliance and protection
- Represented nationwide road-rally race in trademark opposition proceeding against well-known energy drink company
- Advised Canadian carpool-on-demand technology company on issues of U.S. risk management and intellectual property protection
- Represented data sciences platform-as-a-service (PaaS) provider in trademark opposition proceeding before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Counsel to fantasy sport gaming service in action against major collegiate sport association before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Represented international watch manufacturer in successful defense of action brought under the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA)
Mr. Hastings is an approved mediator of the International Trademark Association Panel of Mediators, an alternative dispute resolution forum with approximately 150 mediators worldwide.
Honors and Awards
Mr. Hastings lectures regularly at industry events on the topics of trademark, direct marketing and e-commerce law. He has been a featured webinar speaker for The Knowledge Group, a leading continuing legal education company for legal professionals.
- New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
Mr. Hastings is a graduate of Fordham University (B.A. English) and Western New England University School of Law (J.D.)